According to Chinese medicine, the pain is always caused by blood stasis which means the blood circulation to the area of pain is lower. This can get worse when the weather changes, with a common cold or when the exterior temperature drops. It is managed by invigorating blood flow function.
To support the treatment at home the patient can:
1) Use a heating pad on the area of pain.
2) Apply a warm water wash (110 degrees) to the area of pain: use a towel soaked with warm water and wash the area of the pain including joints and muscles. Continue to soak about 10 minutes and the pain area will change to a red color or warm feeling. Do this once a day in the evening and before sleep.
3) Sometimes the pain will get worse after catching a cold with symptoms like headache, stomachache, or aching of the whole body. In this case we can take ginger tea or ginger soup (see below).
4) Do regular soft exercises like walking outside once a day, practice Tai Ji Quan (Tai Chi), or any kind of exercises.
5) Finally avoid seafood if you know you have gout because that can worsen the condition.