June 17, 2008 at Tuesday 1:00 -9:00PM
Florida College of Imperative Medicine
Etiology and Pathogenesis of TCM:
1. Toxic-heat: all cancer, side effects from chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
2. Blood stagnation: all cancer, pain and side effects from radiotherapy.
3. Phlegm stagnation: brain, nasopharyngeal, throat, thyroid, lung, esophageal, breast, ovarian and uterine cancer.
4. Damp stagnation: liver, gallbladder, pancreatic, colorectal, kidney, bladder, urethra, prostate and testicular cancer.
5. Qi stagnation: liver, gallbladder, pancreatic, stomach, breast, thyroid, prostate, testicular cancer and radiotherapy.
6. Blood heat: leukemia, lymphoma, skin cancer, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
7. Deficiency: all cancer, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
a. Yin or fluid deficiency: Lung, Stomach, Large Intestine, Kidney and Liver.
b. Qi deficiency: Spleen, Lung and heart.
c. Blood deficiency: Spleen, Liver and Heart.
d. Yang deficiency: Spleen and Kidney.
Principles and the Treatment of Cancer and the Treatment of Side Effects for Chemo/Radiation
1. Clear toxins and heat
Indications: toxins and heat with symptoms and signs.
Cancer with begging, growth is fast, bitter taste, dry mouth, thirst, bad breath, poor sleep, constipation, or dry stools, dark urine; body has smell, body is not weak; swollen lymph nodes, nodules, or swollen red lump but no pain or aching; red eye, or lower fiver. Tongue: red/red purple with thin yellow coating. Pulse: wiry, slippery or rapid.
All of the cancers are due to toxin-heat and side effects from radiotherapy.
1) Lung cancer: cough and pus (bad smelling pus), pain and distension in the chest.
2) Nasopharyngeal cancer: nasal obstruction w/ bloody discharge, cough w/less sputum.
3) Esophageal cancer: prefers cold drinks, burning sensation in upper abdomen.
4) Stomach cancer: acid reflux, bleeding gum, burning sensation in upper abdomen, bleeding gums, difficulty swallowing.
5) Throat cancer: sore throat, difficulty to wallowing.
6) Liver/ gallbladder cancer: jaundice, pain or distention in right upper abdomen.
7) Leukemia: purple spots on the body, swollen lymph nodes.
8) Breast cancer
10) Side effects from radiotherapy
Formulas: Wu Wei Xiao Du Yin , Huang Lian Jie Du Tang , Pu Ji Xiao Du Ying , Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin
2. Move blood stasis and disperses hardness
Indications: blood stasis with symptoms and signs.
Sharp or stabbing pain, swollen lymph nodes, hardness masses or nodules, swelling lump without pain, visible blotches of bruise, visible veins on the skin, purpura of skin, or hardness and swelling in skin, bleeding easily. Tongue: purple or dark, or spots on T, large veins under Tongue; lips of mouth, dark on the surround eyes. Pulse: rolling, weak, thin, wiry.
Blood stasis appear in all cancer and side effects from radiotherapy; and brain, nasopharyngeal, throat, thyroid, lung, esophageal, breast, ovarian and uterine cancer, liver, gallbladder, pancreatic, colorectal, bladder, urethra, prostate and testicular cancer; leukemia, lymphoma and skin cancer.
Formulas: 1) Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang , 2) Shen Tong Zhu Yu Tang , 3) Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang , 4) Tong Qiao Huo Xue Tang, 5) Shao Fu Zhu Yu Tang , 6) Huo Luo Xiao Ling Dan
3. Move Qi stagnation
Indications: Qi stagnation with symptoms and signs.
Distention or pain in chest and hypochondriac area, fullness in upper abdomen, belching, hiccup, nausea, vomiting and gas; move pain; masses or nodules, and swelling lump. Tongue: pale with thin white coating. Pulse: wiry, weak.
Qi stagnation appear in most cancer and side effects from chemotherapy. Can see in liver, gallbladder, pancreatic thyroid, lung, esophageal, breast, ovarian and uterine cancer; colorectal, prostate and testicular cancer.
Formulas: 1) Chai Hu Su Gan San, 2) Tian Tai Wu Yao San, 3) Ding Xiang Shi Di Tang
4. Cool blood and stop bleeding
Indications: blood heat and bleeding with symptoms and signs.
Bleeding (nose, gum, cough, vomiting, stools, urine, skin), dry mouth, thirst, bitter taste, bad breath, constipation, or dry stools, dark urine; body smell, fiver, purpura of skin; swollen lymph nodes, nodules, or swollen red lump. T: pale red/red with thin yellow coating.
Appear in nasopharyngeal, lung, esophageal, liver, gallbladder, colorectal, bladder, urethra, uterine cancer; leukemia, lymphoma and skin cancer.
Formulas: 1) Xi Jiao Di Huang Tang , 2) Shi Hui San, 3) Huang Tu Tang
5. Dispels phlegm stagnation and softens hardness ( heat and Cold):
Indications: phlegm stagnation with symptoms and signs.
Swollen lymph nodes, hard masses or nodules, swollen without pain and cough. Tongue: pale or pale red with sticky or greasy coating. Pulse: rolling or slippery.
Phlegm stagnation appear in all cancer and side effects from radiotherapy; brain, nasopharyngeal, throat, thyroid, Lung, esophageal, breast, ovarian and uterine cancer, colorectal, prostate and testicular cancer, lymphoma, skin cancer.
Formulas: 1) Hai Zao Yu Hu Tang, 2) Er Chen Tang, 3) Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang
6. Dry dampness stagnation ( heat and cold)
Indications: dampness stagnation with symptoms and signs.
Patient has poor appetite, nausea, vomiting; diarrhea, fullness abdomen and fatigue; blood stools and burning anus; yellow or burning urination; and skin problems. Tongue: pale or pale red with white, yellow, sticky or greasy coating. Pulse: rolling or weak.
Appear in liver, gallbladder, pancreatic, esophageal, stomach, colorectal, kidney, bladder, prostate and testicular cancer and after chemotherapy.
Formulas: 1) San Ren Tang , 2) Wu Ling San, 3) Bi Xie Sheng Shi Tang
7. Tonify deficiency:
Indications: all cancer and after chemotherapy/ radiotherapy or surgery that is deficient.
1).Tonify Qi deficiency: fatigue, palpitations, shortness of breath, poor appetite. Tongue: pale. Pulse: weak. Appear after chemotherapy/ radiotherapy.
Formula: Si Jun Zi Tang and, Xiang Sha Liu Jun Zi Tang , Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang.
2) Tonify Qi and blood deficiency:
Fatigue: palpitations, poor sleep, dizziness, poor appetite, pale face, eyes, lips and nails; thin of tongue body, pale and thin white coat, weak pulse.
Formula: Ba Zhen Tang, Gui Pi Tang
3) Tonify Yin deficiency: Fatigue, poor sleep, hot flashes, night sweats, dry nose, mouth, and throat, constipation or dry stools; Tongue: red/ peeled; Pulse: weak.
Formula: Liu Wei Di Huang Tang, Shan Shen Mai Men Dong Tang , Sheng Mai Yin
4) Tonify Spleen and kidney yang deficiency
Patient may have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, poor appetite; facial pale or dark T: pale or pale dark with thin and wet coating; weak pulse. Maybe have cold extremities and body.
Treatment: Li Zhong Tang (Tonify Spleen Yang)
5) Tonify Kidney essence deficiency
Pain, weak knees, shortness of breath, palpitations, dry mouth, nose and throat, sometimes dry skin, poor vision, hair loss; dark or hardness of muscle and skin; pale red or dark tongue body, loss of tongue coat; weak pulse; blood test- white or red blood cells are lower, platelets lower.
Formulas: Zuo Gui Wan, You Gui Wan
Judge the development of cancer using the tongue and pulse:
Tongue, Pulse, Pictures, Case from clinic
Make a correct treatment plan for cancer:
Cancer without symptoms and signs
Clear heat and toxins, move blood and softness hardness, tonify deficiency
This is an excerpt from Dr. Yang’s Seminar. These classic formulas should be modified for each patient’s conditions. Dr. Yang has his own modified formulas all types of conditions.